Filesystems being eaten?

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Mar 12 13:14:15 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 02:42:52PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Last Friday my 8.0-CURRENT/amd64 box suffered a crash--no idea if
> it panicked, I was running X11--after which all filesystems were
> so badly corrupted that I had to reinstall the machine.  This was
> a vanilla setup, UFS2 and UFS2+S, -CURRENT about a week old at the
> time.
>
> Yesterday it crashed again and while other filesystems survived,
> /usr was again too damaged for fsck to recover it.  fsck -y showed
> thousands of errors in the "unexpected soft update inconsistency"
> class, starting with many "partially allocated inode"s, and eventually
> asked to be re-run, which produced only more of the same.  I wonder
> if fsck didn't cause most of the corruption itself.
>
> I realize this isn't exactly helpful as a bug report, but what can
> I do.  Something in -CURRENT from the last two weeks or so, maybe
> specific to amd64, maybe not, may eat filesystems.
>
> Since I actually use the box and can't afford to reinstall it once
> or twice a week, I've moved it to RELENG_7 for the time being.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-March/003903.html
may be related.

Just for now I am using:
> uname -a
FreeBSD wep4035 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Mar  6 18:47:22 CET 2009     root at wep4035:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> uptime
 9:10PM  up 5 days,  5:20, 4 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00

The system is working but I'm not sure there is no corruption...

FYI,
Alexey.