ZFS/amd64/extattr lockup (was Re: bsdtar lockup on Current-03/10/2009)

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 10 23:41:59 PDT 2009

Anonymous wrote:
> Tim Kientzle <kientzle at freebsd.org> writes:
>>Anonymous wrote:

>>>I'm not sure but in my case ktrace shows extattr_list_link() before the lockup.
>>>So, for a workaround I disabled extattr support in libarchive. Can you verify that
>>>this helps you, too?
>>
>>Please try this, which will poke that same system
>>call in a different way:
>>
>> rm -f foo foolink
>> touch foo
>> ln -s foo foolink
>> lsextattr -h user foolink
>
> Right here.

So lsextattr -h hangs for you on AMD64 using ZFS with
a file that has no extended attributes.

I've not been able to reproduce it on i386 with UFS
(though I'm about a week out-of-date; I'm updating now).

Please try this on a UFS volume so we can figure
out whether this is an AMD64 problem or a ZFS problem.
(format a floppy or a USB key or a swap-backed ramdisk, maybe?)

Tim