Subversion dies on pkill checkout

Chris Ruiz chris at young-alumni.com
Tue Mar 10 12:55:21 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 5:03 AM, Michael David Crawford wrote:

>> * Michael David Crawford <mdc at prgmr.com> wrote:
>>> A    tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill/pkill-t.t
>>> svn: In directory 'tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill'
>>> svn: Can't move source to dest
>>> svn: Can't move  'tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill/.svn/tmp/prop-
>>> base/pgrep-s.t.svn-base'  to 'tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill/.svn/
>>> prop-base/pgrep-s.t.svn-base':  No such file or directory
>
> Ed Schouten wrote:
>> I guess this is yet another issue we're having with checking out our
>> source tree on case insensitive file systems.
>
> That was it!  I should have guessed - it's bitten me before. [*]
>
> The workaround - again this is on Mac OS X - is to use Disk Utility
> to create a big enough disk image file, then after it has been
> initialized, reformat it with a case-sensitive filesystem.
>
> One has the choice of the Unix Filesystem or case-sensitive HFS+.
> HFS+ is case-insensitive by default; I think the case-sensitive
> option is only available in recent OS X versions.

Actually, Case-sensitive HFS+ has been available since 10.3 (Panther),
to get such a volume you would need to select it from Disk Utility
during the install process.  There is no conversion process other than
reformatting.  I currently run 10.5 (and did so with 10.4 and 10.3) as
Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+ with no problems.

Sincerely,

Chris Ruiz