wpa2 hostap setup

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 3 09:40:59 PST 2009

Randy Bush wrote:
> i386 (soekris) 8-current
>
> i currently have
>
> wlans_ath0="wlan0 wlan1"
> create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap channel 11 ssid rgnet-aden wep wepkey itsasecretsilly weptxkey 1 media autoselect mode 11g up"
> create_args_wlan1="wlanmode hostap ssid rg-free up"
> cloned_interfaces=bridge0
> ifconfig_bridge0="192.168.0.1 addm vr1 addm vr2 addm vr3 addm wlan0 addm wlan1 up"
> ifconfig_vr1=up
> ifconfig_vr2=up
> ifconfig_vr3=up
>
> i want to go to a more reasonable over the air crypt sceheme, e.g. wpa2.
> clients are mac, airport express, and winxp.  is there a well known
> recipe?
>
> i think i need to run hostapd with a hostapd.conf something like
>
>     interface=wlan0
>     ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
>     ctrl_interface_group=0
>     ssid=rgnet-aden
>     country_code=JP
>     hw_mode=g
>     channel=42
>     auth_algs=3
>     wpa=1
>     wpa_passphrase=itsasecretsilly
>     wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>
> i could not really understand the dual bssid stuff and many of the
> options.  and when i get that sorted, what do i do to my /etc/rc.conf?

tools/tools/net80211/scripts has working scripts for many
configurations.  Conversion to rc.conf variables may or may not always
be possible (e.g. dynamic wds probably requires a setup.if_foo script
for the moment).

BTW a bunch of the hostapd.conf stuff you show above is not used.  On
freebsd hostapd is _only_ an authenticator.  Don't be fooled by all the
linux-specific stuff you read on the web.

    Sam