The rc.d mess strikes back

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 2 17:16:07 PST 2009

In message: <20090302233215.GA53763 at duncan.reilly.home>
            Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org> writes:
: On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:25:22PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <2fd864e0903020512i22b2c31fg487aaf37fed6398b at mail.gmail.com>
: >             Astrodog <astrodog at gmail.com> writes:
: > : As unfortunate (and annoying) as that delay was, your system was in a
: > : "defined" state, at the end of rc.d. As things stand now, that doesn't
: > : appear to be the case anymore, and I think that may be a more
: > : significant issue than the delay.
: >
: > I'd be happy with synchronous dhcp.
:
: The more general problem is the (large) number of network
: applications that assume that network addresses and routes never
: change (because that's how things were when they were written.)
: My personal pet peeve is ntpd, but there are many others.  Any
: daemon that caches host IP address information at startup is
: (IMO) broken, and needs to be fixed.  There are many reasons why
: network addresses may change *after* startup, and it is not
: reasonable to go around and manually HUP everything when that
: happens.

True.

: Needing synchronous DHCP as a work-around here is just the
: signifier of the problem: it isn't the over-all solution.

It is a short-term work-around at best.

Warner