Outstanding issues with LG GGC-H20L on 7.0/8

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 19:10:02 PST 2009

	I've been mute about this for a while, but I figured I should report
it.
	My BlueRay DVD drive combo has a number of quirks that need to be
worked out with ata(4):
	- It plays audio/data CD media perfectly fine, and data DVDs
perfectly fine.
	- It doesn't play region locked DVDs, but it will play region
unlocked DVDs (mplayer, vlc).
	- It suffers from frequent burn errors (burncd, cdrecord, growisofs)
during the burn process (not the fixation process).

	I've seen complaints about the firmware maker (Matsushita) on some
mplayer sites and how the drives suck, but they were complaining about
region locking, and this issue with the drive appears to be
centralized in a more ata specific way.
	I'm using an extremely up-to-date CURRENT (today, 4pm), and I've seen
this issue occur with 7.0-RELEASE, PC-BSD, and 8-CURRENT, so I doubt
that the issues are regression related.
	The idenf for the drive is: `HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L 1.03'; a link
to the specs sheet can be found here: <http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000003670/h_ggch20l_spec_sheet.pdf
 >. They don't have a product page though and it wasn't listed on the
website :(.
	Will provide more data as requested.
Thanks,
-Garrett