RFC: Replacing bc/dc to BSDL versions

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at kovesdan.org
Fri Jun 26 16:38:05 UTC 2009

Alexey Shuvaev wrote:
> Thanks!
> I'm running the system with BSD bc/dc now.
> The only small thing I've noticed is:
>
> ~> dc -h
> dc: invalid option -- h
> usage: dc [-hVx] [-e expression] [file]
> ~> dc --help
> usage: dc [-hVx] [-e expression] [file]
>
> This seems to come from this line in dc.c:
>
> +       /* accept and ignore a single dash to be 4.4BSD dc(1) compatible */
> +       while ((ch = getopt_long(argc, argv, "e:f:Vx", long_options, NULL)) != -1) {
>
> Possibly one should just use "e:f:Vhx"?
> Otherwise looks good, I'm using dc from time to time.

Thanks Alexey, your observation is correct, I'll fix my patch. We cannot
replace bc/dc for 8.X, however, because re's decision was to defer this
change after the code freeze. In the meantime, all of your input is very
important so that we can polish possible remaining items. Thanks for
taking your time to try BSD bc/dc.

Regards,
Gabor