new usb stack - boot problem from usb hdd

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Jun 27 08:19:26 UTC 2009

On Saturday 27 June 2009 06:32:54 Vinicius Abrahao wrote:
> 9) What I'm doing wrong?

I don't think this is your fault. My initial patch for this problem had a loop
in the mount root code, trying to mount the root device several times. Now
several other people did not agree about that, and made the USB enumeration
synchronous instead. That does not always work, because USB devices do not
always show up immediately when the power is turned on. I would strongly
suggest to add a flag to the mount root code in sys/kern/, allowing the mount
root code to automatically retry the medium. It is also important that the
mountroot code calls pause() and do not spin in a while loop.

--HPS