cpufreq probs dual core intel

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Jun 27 04:09:42 UTC 2009

> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:24:52 -0700
> From: Ron Freidel <rfreidel at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
>
> Hi all,
>
> I suppose I should state I am only posting after lots of googling.
>
> I upgraded to current from 7.2, I just couldn't wait too see if my laptop
> would acpi sleep, it seems to just fine by the way, not well tested yet
> though.
>
> My prob is with cpufreq, it seems to be locked at max speed, nothing I do
> seems to change the freq it is running at.
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz (1997.34-MHz K8-class
> CPU)
>
> leroy# dmesg | grep cpu
>  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
>  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> coretemp0: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu0
> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
> cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> coretemp1: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu1
> est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
> p4tcc1: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu1
>
> It looks to this feeble mind like it should be working.
> Where else do I look?
>
> leroy# ps ax | grep powerd
>  1164  ??  Ss     0:00.97 /usr/sbin/powerd -a adaptive -b adaptive
>
> Hope this is enough info...

Not quite. The output of 'sysctl hw.acpi.acline' (on battery and on AC
power) and 'sysctl dev.apu.0' would help. Running powerd with the '-v'
option might provide a clue, too.

Everything you sent looks pretty normal, but it's not enough to tell much.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)