New builds won't boot (fwd)

Chris Hedley freebsd-current at chrishedley.com
Fri Jun 26 18:31:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Chris Hedley wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>> * Latest checkout date of a kernel that does boot.
>> * Earliest checkout date of a kernel that doesn't boot.
> As for the versions of the kernel, I've narrowed it down to a half-day
> window, which is hopefully useful: the cvsup-specified dates I have are
> 2009.02.18.12.00.00 (working) and 2009.02.19.00.00.00 (not working).

Just to pontificate for a moment, I notice that there's quite a few
changes to the ATA subsystem that afternoon.  This might be significant as
the Supermicro SATA controllers I use (a pair of AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards, 8
port PCI-X things) aren't entirely trouble-free: when they're up and
running they're fine, but they don't reset on reboot, even with the
current (? 1.0c, anyway) firmware which causes problems rescanning the
drives.  This could be a complete red herring, but I wondered if it may be
related.

Chris.