RFC: Replacing bc/dc to BSDL versions

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 23 06:56:55 UTC 2009

Gabor Kovesdan escribió:
> Hello,
>
> as you might know, I'm working on a BSDL grep. It isn't totally ready
> yet, because there are compatibility issues, which I have to resolve.
> But looking at another BSDL tools, I've found out that OpenBSD has
> BSDL bc and dc utilities. I've thought of replacing them. I think in
> the bc/dc case, such a strict GNU compatibility isn't necessary as in
> the case of grep, so we may replace them in base system. If there's no
> objection to replacing them, I'll post a patch for review.
Thanks for all your input. It took a while because of other priorities
but I've made some tests concerning BSDL bc/dc. I've made a complete
buildworld and tried mergemaster, which worked fine. I've also checked
the GNU regression tests comparing the two versions. There's little
difference. The speed is varying, sometimes GNU is faster, sometimes the
BSDL versions. The accuracy seems to be the same up to 18 digits after
the decimal point. I've also checked the OpenBSD regression tests found
only one case, which didn't work but these tests seem to be specific for
BSDL bc/dc as they don't really work with the GNU version.

I've made a patch, which doesn't remove GNU bc/dc yet, just detaches
them from the build so that in case of a regression we can easily revert
while the problem is fixed:
http://kovesdan.org/patches/bcdc.diff

--
Gabor Kovesdan