smartmontools/smartctl regression - CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed

Thomas Backman serenity at exscape.org
Mon Jun 22 18:57:13 UTC 2009

On Jun 20, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Thomas Backman wrote:

> I know there have been some recent changes in the area (although TBH
> I don't know what CAM is, so...). It used to work a few weeks ago
> when I last checked, but now I get this:
>
> # smartctl -A /dev/da0
> smartctl version 5.38 [amd64-portbld-freebsd8.0] Copyright (C)
> 2002-8 Bruce Allen
> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>
> smartctl: cam_lookup_pass: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
> cam_lookup_pass: No such file or directory
> cam_lookup_pass: either the pass driver isn't in your kernel
> cam_lookup_pass: or da0 doesn't exist
> Standard Inquiry (36 bytes) failed [Operation not permitted]
> Retrying with a 64 byte Standard Inquiry
> smartctl: cam_lookup_pass: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
> cam_lookup_pass: No such file or directory
> cam_lookup_pass: either the pass driver isn't in your kernel
> cam_lookup_pass: or da0 doesn't exist
> Standard Inquiry (64 bytes) failed [Operation not permitted]
> A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
> more '-T permissive' options.
> ---------------
> A rebuild of smartmontools did nothing. Am I missing a kernel option
> or something? I'm running GENERIC plus DTRACE minus WITNESS/
> INVARIANTS, no other changes.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
Oh, man. I'm such a moron. Or klutz, at least.
"... or da0 doesn't exist" is indeed correct. The disks are ad* on
this computer. I'm much too used to da* and didn't even think about
the possibility that I might actually have the name wrong...

Normally, I would stay quiet about it, but seeing how this is/was
essentially a bug report, I guess I'll have to tell the truth: there
was no bug here in my case. *blushes*

Regards,
Thomas