Clang: now available from a SVN server near you!

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Sun Jun 14 18:38:36 UTC 2009

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20090604093831.GE48776 at hoeg.nl>
>             Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> writes:
> : Good news everyone!
> : So far we've only done testing on amd64 and i386. A lot of ports are
> : probably still broken. Caveat emptor. Beware of dog. Slippery when wet.
>
> "objects in mirror may be larger than they appear"
>
> Do you have size or run-time performance comparisons yet?

I feel a bit like an idiot needing to ask this, but I downloaded the stuff on
llvm/clang, but I don't know the name of the directories, and I need to ask some
items.  (Before someone kindly points this out, I've been running -current
fairly regularly since 1.0, and I'm completely aware that running current is
very nearly completely a "run at your own risk" thing.  I have a pretty good
track record and being able to fix things, and I accept this risk just like the
earlier ones).  So, I need the next very few questions to help me on my way:

First is the complete set of llvm/clang code in that new src/cddl subdirectory?
  I looked really hard for directories named either clang or llvm, and since I
didn't find anything, is there anything like a README that explains what's
sitting where?  I mean, stuff like what's in the currently available src/README,
but in a little additional detail for the new llvm/clang stuff.  This is likely
stuff that others might be curious about also, those who didn't konw any more
about llvm than I do.

Is the rest of the stuff I downloaded, the rest of that tree, being kept up to
date with the rest of the FreeBSD-current's HEAD?  Or, is that being held for
llvm testing?  BTW, my insurance method here is to have a complete prebuilt
-current tree (with gcc built and ready to be installed) sitting on the side, so
if suddenly llvm won't operate, I only need to install from that other tree to
get me a good gcc again.  Not that I'm expecting any code problem, but I could
cause myself some local problem, possibly, I want to protect myself from
anything.  I'm honestly mostly worried about the stiching up of the new llvm
code with the rest of the tree, or if that needs something extra (beyond merely
getting llvm working)?

Thanks for letting me bother you about this.