Benchmark [Re: [Call For Testing] VirtualBox for FreeBSD! take 4]

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Sat Jun 6 06:44:34 UTC 2009

Maho NAKATA wrote:
> I did a benchmark with Virtualbox:
>
> My environment:
> * Core 2 Quad, Q6600 at 3GHz
> * Windows XP SP3 at host SP2 at VBOX with GuestAddon
> * http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalMark/
>   CrystalMark 2004R3
> * Sapphire X1650
> * VBOX is running on FBSD7.2-REL/amd64
>   using http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/vbox/virtualbox_5.tgz
> * Running with fullscreen mode 1280x1024 32bit
> Here is the result
>       host(4CPU) host(1CPU) vbox(1CPU)
> Mark   173047       90925    86496
> ALU     50985       13493    13060
> FPU     63746       15126    15323
> MEM     21822       25582    16516
> HDD      9336        9331    30600(*)
> GDI     15153       15195     5127
> D2D      5997        5998     5108
> OGL      6200        6200      762
> (*)somehow lot faster
>
> I don't know how to use two CPUs, even changing setting
> doesn't change.
>
> Usually I cannot usually launch VirtualBox even by root.
> A workaround is that invoking and killing VirtualBox
> many times for me. After some tries I can launch...
>
> thanks

I take it that you're running freebsd on the "bare metal" in your 4CPU
and 1CPU tests, and running WinXP on the bare metal in the vbox test?
If so, are you using ATA disks and the ATA driver for all instances
of FreeBSD?  If so, then the lack of NCQ in the FreeBSD ATA driver would
explain the HDD test result.  I see similar results with VMWare.

Scott