[head tinderbox] failure on sparc64/sun4v

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Thu Jun 4 03:26:23 UTC 2009

Marius, good day.

First, thanks for committing the fix.

Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:44:53PM +0200, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 01:54:30PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> > KTR's case seems to be wrong for PCPU_NAME_LEN larger than 24 bytes.
> > Just now we won't be able to reach this with the current definition
> > for PCPU_NAME_LEN, but some day (N - (PCPU_NAME_LEN + 7)/8) can
> > become negative and that's bad.
>
> If it actually becomes negative the build should break again,
> which IMO is sufficient protection.

Yes, "protection" is here.  But it will break the build again
and that's a bit uncomfortable.

> > The attached patch should fix this (although I have no sun4v to test
> > on, so take it with a grain of salt).
>
> I think this is overengineered, especially if not also
> adjusting the padding for other macros which may change the
> size of both MD and MI parts of struct pcpu.

Hmm, don't fully understand about "other macros".  Could you,
please, provide an example?

> > By the way, having looked at sys/sys/pcpu.h, I see that there are parts
> > of 'struct pcpu' that depend on the KTR_PERCPU being defined and they
> > are never compensated with padding in PCPU_MD_FIELDS for sun4v.  Is
> > KTR_PERCPU constant for sun4v (inexisting or defined everytime) or I am
> > missing something?
>
> It's just not taken into account but AFAICT also dead code.

Yes, seems like so.  John, may be we can eliminate the only reference to
KTR_PERCPU from sys/sys/pcpu.h?  Both 'struct pcpu' fields seem to be
unused (grep'ped -CURRENT sources).
--
Eygene