Xorg upgrade desaster: Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Fri Jan 30 15:40:18 PST 2009

O. Hartmann wrote:
> Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> Then firefox3 freezes forever, showing something like the background or
> pixel remnants of windows/picograms moving over its window.

Today, I had this error, too, but not with firefox3 (IIRC).

It was after the update of libXext-1.0.4,1 to 1.0.5,1 -- going back
seemed to have fixed it. (I still had a package from after the xorg 7.4
upgrade last week.)

I have not got time to look into it and try to reproduce it. (There were
some other updates and configurations changes around the same time.)

BTW: It was on 7.1. I do use the radeon driver, too.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik