Data corruption with checksum offloading enabled

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Tue Jan 27 05:45:21 PST 2009

* Arno J. Klaassen (arno at heho.snv.jussieu.fr) wrote:

> > For now I have two cases of corruption - in both cases it is single
> > difference of one 128 byte block with file offsets 0x65F872 and
> > 0x61A072.
>
> I had a similar problem last April on a 7-stable box reported
> in a 'nfs-server silent data corruption' thread.
>
> I found :
>
> - in all failing cases just *one* byte is currupted, 4 or all 8 bits
>   set to zero *and* the original value is one out of the limited
>   subset {1, 8, 9} ....
>
>   here is the output of `cmp -x $i/BIG $i/BIG2` for some failing
>   cases I saved :
>
>   03869a48 09 00
>   05209d88 09 00
>   01777148 09 00
>   00f10f88 09 00
>   01f4c4c8 11 00
>   06c3d6c8 11 00
>   0725ca48 18 00
>   01608008 09 00
>   00f3b888 18 00
>
>   07aa45c8 29 20
>
> Does your corruption fulfill these characterisations as well?

Nope, as I've written before, it's corruption of single 128 byte block.
I've deleted samples during the upgrade process, but I think I'll turn
*xcsum back on and do some more tests with NFS, and netcat transfers.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru