KDE4/DBUS weirdness on -Current

Pegasus Mc Cleaft ken at mthelicon.com
Mon Jan 26 06:29:24 PST 2009

Hello Current,

    First I appologize for not having much debug information, as I havent been able to pinpoint an exact cause yet, but I noticed something odd with -Current 25012009. After updating all my ports while running on a 23012009-Current and rebooting, everything seemed to work fine; however, after updating usr/src from about 11pm on 25012009, KDE started to act really strange.

    After poking around with various things, I discovered that the dbus daemon stopped responding. This manifisted its self by clicking on icons and having the window manager lock up for about 1 minute. After which, a message came back that the dbus daemon could not be contacted. I tried dbus-monitor, but got exactly the same message. I tried both USB1 and USB2 stacks, just to make sure, but could never get things to copperate. I did find, right after logging in through KDM, I could get a single application to launch (So DBUS had to been ok at this point) but after about 5 seconds, DBUS would stop responding)

    I reverted my kernel to the version before the upgrade (kernel.old) and everything started to work fine again (I am running on the more recent world and the old kernel).

    I am not really sure how to find the exact failure here, but I can duplicate the fault by loading the 25th's kernel.

    Machine is a Core2-quad running on AMD64, 8 Gig, USB1 or USB2 stack.

    Does anyone have any insight to what this might be? (Or how I might be able to diagnose further)

~Peg