Prblem whit USB in FreeBSD 8

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 25 11:55:56 PST 2009

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2009-Jan-24 12:30:56 -0800, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I wonder if this situation can be handled automatically. To my ignorant
>> view, our USB mass storage driver can try sending "synchronize cache"
>> command and if that fails then failback to the NO_SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE
>> behavior.
>
> This has been discussed in the past.  The problem is that some drives
> lock up when you send a "synchronize cache" command so this isn't a
> general solution.

So what? The drive that is not in the quirks won't work anyway, so that
if by auto-detection you can make at least fraction of those drivers
working out of the box it would be an improvement. I wonder how other
operating systems (Windows, Linux) cope with this issue. Not sure about
a Linux, but I really doubt Windows has anything like our quirks, yet
all drives work with it.

-Maxim