GEOM and moving to CURRENT from 7.1

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Thu Jan 15 06:15:22 PST 2009

On 2009-01-14 17:34, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>> The only way i've found to boot my system again is to compile a new
>> kernel with GEOM_BSD and GEOM_MBR, instead of GEOM_PART_*.
>
> Wipe out your second sector on the disk. You have a
> stale BSD disklabel that prevents the MBR from being
> used.

Hmm, in my case I can't do so, since I have a "Dangerously Dedicated"
FreeBSD MBR partition.  This apparently lets the MBR partition overlap
with the MBR itself, putting the disklabel on the sector following the
MBR.

I know "DD" is probably looked upon in the sense of "if it breaks, you
get to keep both pieces", but if anyone knows a good hack to make it
work with this new scheme... :)