Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?)

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Thu Jan 15 02:17:00 PST 2009

On 2009-01-15 09:45, Roman Divacky wrote:
> I really dont see any reason why there must be only ONE compiler that
> can be used to compile FreeBSD.

I completely agree.  When I said earlier in this thread "dependence on
GNU gcc has always been bad", I did NOT mean to say that gcc is bad in
itself, just the dependence on any particular C/C++ compiler.

This is also why it is worthwile to go for C89 or C99 standards
compliance.  The less exotic (read: gcc-specific) extensions, the
better.