GEOM and moving to CURRENT from 7.1

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 13:35:26 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> installed amd64 7.1 from cdrom
> partitioned two sata drives to single partitions
> labeled and gmirrored
>
> upgraded to 8-current
> ad0 started falling off mirror
> ad2 started reporting smart errors

Interesting.  I have been seeing similar behavior when trying to
update my 7.1-prerelase box to current, except that it seems to be
random _which_ disk falls off the mirror.  I'm also seeing panics if I
try to stress the (then-degraded) mirror with the current kernel.  The
mirror is rock-solid with the 7.1-pre kernel.

The panic is "initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs2: already started", and
I've got some details of the other messages I've seen logged up here:
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/kaduk/freebsd/periphrasis/20090107/panic.txt
I just added a new swap device, so I'll see if I can actually get a dump once
the mirror rebuilds.

-Ben Kaduk