pxeboot does not work on Sun X4540

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Wed Jan 7 10:07:52 PST 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to boot FreeBSD 8-CURRENT on a Sun X4540 (2xquad core
Opteron, 64 GB memory, 48 SATA disks (in fact 47, the 48th is a write
optimized SSD, because this box is a 7210 OpenStorage "appliance",
running OpenSolaris) on LSI controllers, nvidia NIC) from our boot
server without success.

The PXE on the NIC downloads pxeboot with TFTP, but then gets stuck at
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-6.png

pxeboot is configured to load the kernel via NFS (the default) and
according to the tcpdump output, the client (X4540) issues an NFS
GETPORT call and gets the response from the NFS server and then nothing
else happens.

I've tried with LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=YES and the result is the same, the
only difference is that the machine stops sending packets after the
first TFTP read request (for /boot/boot.4th.split), which doesn't exist,
so the server sends the answer and then nothing comes back from the
X4540 box.

It seems that it gets to send exactly one packet, then freezes.

What else should be done to debug this problem?

Thanks,