RFC: localized libc messages

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 27 13:46:44 PST 2009

Hello all,

There has been NLS support in our libc implementation for a long time,
but it has been disabled because of some initial problems with NLS. (I
don't know the exact explanation, I've just looked up the mail
archives.) Now, I've made a patch to re-enable it and I've tested this
stuff. It seems to be working without any problems on 7.X. I haven't had
any opportunity to try it out on -CURRENT, but I've made available the
patch for 8-CURRENT. It turns NLS on and adds some new catalog files. I
think it would be nice to have this enabled if it seems to be stable,
since we have a lot of folks making a good job on translating various
FreeBSD documents to other languages and I think it would be great to
extend our language support to this new area.
I've put the patch here: http://kovesdan.org/patches/nls.diff
Sorry for cross-posting to doc@, but there are a lot of translators
there, who might be interested in this.

Regards,