SATA DVD no longer detected

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 27 02:49:51 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:32 -0900, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> My SATA dvd is no longer detected. This worked fine up until recently.
>
> dmesg:
> atapci0: <ATI IXP600 SATA300 controller> port
> 0xb000-0xb007,0xa000-0xa003,0x9000-0x9007,0x8000-0x8003,0x7000-0x700f mem
> 0xf9fff800-0xf9fffbff irq 22 at device 18.0 on pci0
> atapci0: [ITHREAD]
> atapci0: AHCI Version 01.10 controller with 4 ports PM supported
> ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
> ata2: [ITHREAD]
> ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
> ata3: [ITHREAD]
> ata4: <ATA channel 2> on atapci0
> ata4: [ITHREAD]
> ata5: <ATA channel 3> on atapci0
> ata5: [ITHREAD]
> <SNIP>
> ad4: 476940MB <WDC WD5000AAKS-75A7B0 01.03B01> at ata2-master SATA300
>
> uname:
> FreeBSD stargate.akherb.com 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #21: Mon Feb 16
> 12:03:51 AKST 2009
>
> My SATA drive is detected, but not the DVD. I'm unfamiliar with this area so
> any pointers would be appreciated.

Can you get and compare a verbose dmesg of a working and the non-working
kernel?

There have been a handful of improvements made to the ATA code recently,
and presumably one of them has broken your system.  Maybe you could
narrow down which commit lost your DVD drive by compiling HEAD from
(say) 20th Feb, and stepping forward or backwards until the commit is
pinpointed?  You should be able to achieve this within 4 recompiles if
you pick your dates/times carefully.

Gavin