Default FS Layout Too Small?

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Tue Feb 24 12:56:57 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <
stephen at math.missouri.edu> wrote:

> Sean Bruno wrote:
>
>> I noted that if I choose the auto defaults for my F/S layout, sysinstall
>> will not reserve enough space for root(512MB?).  This is just barely
>> enough to recompile and install an updated kernel.  Much more than that
>> and the F/S is full.
>>
>> I would assume that the default would be much larger now-a-days. I think
>> a simple doubling to 1G would be sufficient.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Sean
>>

> I have observed the same issue.  Somehow there is a lot more stuff in
> /boot/kernel than there used to be.  I'm guessing that a lot of it is
> symbols for the debugger, which used not to be there.  And when you have
> /boot/kernel.old as well, it really gets pretty full there.

I believe this is because with 7 and beyond a "make installkernel" will
install the symbols into /boot/kernel if the kernel is compiled with debug
support. With 6.x and earlier it would keep them in the /usr/obj hierarchy
but not deposit them into /boot/kernel.

Not saying one is better than the other (although it is nice to have the
symbols in an easy-to-find directory when needed), but that would explain
why your average kernel now needs 3-4x the space if you've enabled kernel
debugging.

-Proto