Potential race condition / performance issue

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 23:53:48 PST 2009

Hi guys,
    I've come across some issues with recent kernels on my system
where after I disabled WITNESS and INVARIANTS options, and if I have
all hardware features enabled (sio card, snd_hda, etc), something's
been happening where the kernel is getting stuck with xpt_config at
boot. After I disabled onboard sound and serial, things work like a
charm again. Furthermore, it seems to be running differently, and in
fact much better than it was before, such that X11 is much more
responsive than it was before [*]. Booting off an OpenSolaris
(Indiana?) disk doesn't have this issue, but it does print out a fat
warning about irq16 being shared between drivers (as does FreeBSD
IIRC) when the devices are enabled. Are there any known issues with
ICH9 motherboards and FreeBSD that I should be aware of?
    My motherboard is a P5K-E Wifi with a Q9400 and 4GB RAM.
    I've attached my stats just for reference.
Thanks,
-Garrett

[*] Just to make it not sound completely like a driver issue, I just
installed another 2GB of RAM, which brings me up to 4GB RAM in my i686
setup.