weeding out c++ keywords from sys/sys

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Sun Feb 15 22:02:33 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 03:44:40PM +0000, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> I wonder if many of the objections raised against C++ have actually been
> considered in the light of the new C++0x spec.

Has that been released yet?  I thought it was still being worked-on.

> At the moment, there are several projects out there which don't even
> involve C++ in the *kernel*, which are directly impacted by the issues
> which Andriy is attempting to solve because they use the system headers;
> I therefore fully support what he is doing, as he is saving people a lot
> of hassle.

Me too.  That's precicely why I didn't object to that work.

I certainly don't consider myself to be an objector, and I hope that my
comments weren't taken as such.

> It's time to get real, and admit that C++ is a very powerful tool that,
> whilst it can be misused in untrained hands, can be very powerful in
> skillful hands. Just because something isn't to one's personal tastes,
> doesn't mean it should be regarded as anathema or mandatory, IMHO.

It's the "mandatory" that does worry me a little.  Once the cammel has his nose
inside the tent...  everyone will want one.

Cheers,

Andrew.