patch: let msdosfs(vfat)/ntfs to support UTF-8 locale well

Gleb Kurtsou gleb.kurtsou at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:37:48 PST 2009

On (10/02/2009 17:12), 裴国兴 wrote:
> I write a patch to support UTF-8 locale well. I think it maybe help
> for some FreeBSD user.
> follow link is the patch (base on FreeBSD 7.1):
> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/msdosfs.patch?gda=MzIscT8AAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5OpwtI67JnIGlz0zr18tjObOtoi5oIt3BJMRGeqGBbbj-ccyFKn-rNKC-d1pM_IdV0
> the full tar.bz2 package:
> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/msdosfs.tar.bz2?gda=IG1pBkEAAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5OpwtI67JnIGlz0zr18tjObNLRc95Ps2S1UISaL0WhuitTCT_pCLcFTwcI3Sro5jAzlXFeCn-cdYleF-vtiGpWAA
>
> I also will patch for ntfs driver
> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/ntfs.patch?gda=OqsHoDwAAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5O7RN7t-m4MjZ-5dQn_EvaqDVCWO9_HyYEQJyRQYPtRCL9Wm-ajmzVoAFUlE7c_fAt
> http://btload.googlegroups.com/web/ntfs.tar.bz2?gda=zErXED4AAABs_gmy4a1S9lRiXjEy-V5O7RN7t-m4MjZ-5dQn_EvaqG3K0t6fVz8SMYStF_2dqCPjsKXVs-X7bdXZc5buSfmx
>
> The Chinese characters in the fat32 partition can be displayed correctly now.
>
> when mount windows partitions, you should do like this:
> mount_ntfs -C UTF-8 /dev/ad?s? /path/to/mount
> mount_msdosfs -L zh_CN.UTF-8 /dev/ad?s? /path/to/mount

I've also looked at it recently but my idea was to update kiconv to
handle ucs-2 (or whatever it is) -> utf-8 conversion in kernel. kiconv
supports different translation methods. Current implementation just
creates a table for ucs2->utf-8 conversion and passes it too kernel. It
seems it can't even handle all of unicode chars.
Fixing kiconv would be a better solution, imho.