HEADSUP usb2/usb4bsd to become default in GENERIC

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 8 10:50:15 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 21:21 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at FreeBSD.org> [090206 01:50] wrote:
> > Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > >      - Update GENERIC to use usb2 device names.
> >
> > Wasn't there a plan to rename usb2 devices to match oldusb names (where
> > applicable) once oldusb had been killed? I don't see it in the list.
>
> Probably, although coming from the other side as a user I find it pretty
> annoying when there's somewhat gratuitous changes to the kernel config
> files that I don't really care about that cause my kernels to break.

The vast majority of our users do not run -CURRENT, and so haven't had
to change config files yet.

One day, those users will be migrating from 7.x to 8.x, and shouldn't
need to change their kernel config for a "somewhat gratuitous change".

Your argument only works if people had already had to change their
config files once (usb -> usb2), and that by renaming these back they
will have to change their kernel config back.  Only people running
-CURRENT will end up having to do this twice (or indeed at all) if the
rename takes place, end users will not need to do it at all.

> Basically, calling it usb2 isn't as bad as renaming it back to "usb"
> as it's less disruptive in my book.

Again, I disagree.

Gavin