CFT: Graphics support for /boot/loader

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Feb 5 18:52:08 PST 2009

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hello fellow hackers,
>
> Some of you might remember that I'm working on graphics
> support for our /boot/loader.  Unfortunately, progress has
> been rather slow because of non-FreeBSD-related activity.
>
> Anyway, I have now prepared a tarball containing a loader
> binary for public testing.  If you are eager to give it a
> try, please feel free to do so.  It should work with any
> FreeBSD version on i386 and amd64 platforms.
>
> I have posted detailed instructions on the FreeBSD wiki:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/OliverFromme/BootLoaderTest
>
> Any kind of feedback is welcome.

I think that this is really neat, you've done an impressive job
with it good job.  However, I do take issue with your criticism
of the ASCII logo; I actually spent a decent amount of time
designing the block text logo =-)  I wish that there hadn't been
moronic politics over the beastie logo, as that does look a lot
better, even if it is text.  And text is still required for
serial consoles.

Scott