Clearing /var/tmp on boot

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 28 03:53:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:07:09 -0800
Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> No, there should not. If you look at hier(7) it says this about
> /var/tmp: temporary files that are kept between system reboots

Exactly, which is why I'm peeved that so many "session socket"
style entries seem to be put into /var/tmp, rather than /tmp,
where they would go away automatically.

I've just grepped for "tmp" in my env, and find:

ORBIT_SOCKETDIR=/var/tmp/orbit-andrew
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/var/tmp/seahorse-1GYhZS/S.gpg-agent:2325:1
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/var/tmp/keyring-oFUrKu/socket
SESSION_MANAGER=local/duncan.reilly.home:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2282
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/var/tmp/dbus-sMsgLh7CEo,guid=cc0cc75885188dbad4e0e68d4b35f460

so it seems clear that quite a few of these could be overridden,
but blowed if I can find where the knobs are located.  Does
anyone know?  I suppose that I should be asking this question on
freebsd-gnome at ...

Cheers,

--
Andrew