ATA_CAM for extradummies

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 26 04:36:04 UTC 2009

Diego Depaoli wrote:
>> I don't see relations between sg and pass drivers,
>I don't know. Since I built kernel without ata* devices, dmesg didn't
>show any pass device, so @bf1783 asked me if I had pass, ses and sg in
>kernel.

I meant that you may find it useful to restore some of the code from
-GENERIC if you planned to use optical drive software from Ports,
especially some of the stuff that was written for Linux; not that all
of the code would be necessary in all cases, or that it would solve
this particular problem.

>> Man, excuse me, but if you are "extradummy" - don't touch kernel
>> options. Especially experimental, especially without understanding.
>Sorry for bother you, I thought testers were welcome, expecially on -current.

I think mav@  welcomes feedback, but he is warning you for your own
good, so that you will not lose time or become frustrated
unnecessarily.  Already it seems that your note has highlighted one
problem, and that some good will come of it.

>> As I have said, it is a combination of ATI hardware bug and the fact
>> that DVD ripper has no idea about CAM ATA devices, trying to work with
>> them with SCSI commands. I will make workaround for this.
>Thanks.
>As final note... reading 3 different DVD with mplayer or mencoder I
>don't get this issue, but that other one
>READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 8 bf 60 0 0 1 0
>CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:11,5
>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): L-EC uncorrectable error
>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): Retrying Command (per Sense Data)
>within 1 or 2 minutes.

It looks like the DVD has some media errors, and that the software,
and/or the drive's firmware, is failing to read part of it.  Can you
read the disk using another OS?  Is there any visible damage to the
DVD?  Does the DVD have copy protection?

b.