8.0-RELEASE: disk IO temporarily hangs up (ZFS or ATA related problem)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Dec 18 09:57:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Phil Murray wrote:
> >> May be a problem is in ata? WD15EADS is a "green" series of
> >> drives.
> >
> > The WD green drives have a feature called Time Limited Error
> > Recovery where the disk can spend several minutes trying to read a
> > bad block etc.
> >
> > It plays havoc with RAID arrays which is why WD recommend you don't
> > use the green drives in arrays. They have more info about the
> > "feature" in the WD FAQ/knowledgebase
>
> Sorry, TLER is the feature that 'fixes' the problem, see:
>
> http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faq
>id=1397&p_created=1131638613&p_sid=vfyE1KPj&p_accessibility=0&p_redire
>ct=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX
>3Jvd19jbnQ9MTcsMTcmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjcsMjk0JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjI5NCZwX2N
>2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXJhaWQ!&p_li=&p_topview=1
>

> Sounds like your drive is going into the recovery procedure...

I doubt this is the problem, I have WD10EADS disks in my ZFS array and I
see the same issue.

It strikes me as extremely unlikely that both of us would have dud
disks..

In any case it seems to be a general problem not limited to one area of
the disk so a dud sector is an unlikely reason.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum