AHCI/ATA_CAM for dummies?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Dec 15 14:44:28 UTC 2009

on 14/12/2009 22:47 Doug Barton said the following:
> I did look up the spec sheet on the hard drive last night, and
> although it does mention SATA and NCQ it does not explicitly mention
> AHCI.
> http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/50C8DBC2A315A4C786256F400065B756/$file/7K100_SATA_FINAL_DS.pdf
> and
> http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Travelstar_7K100
> if you're interested.
>
> I also didn't see any mentions of jumpers on the drive to enable AHCI,
> which I was kind of hoping for since that's pretty easy to remove.

AHCI stands for Advanced Host Controller Interface, which means that it has to do
with an interface that a controller presents to a host OS, not with an interface
between the controller and a drive.  OTOH, AHCI is applicable only to SATA
controllers.  The opposite is not true, though, not all SATA controllers are AHCI.

--
Andriy Gapon