Root exploit for FreeBSD

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Dec 12 23:36:00 UTC 2009

In message: <20091210095122.a164bf95.wmoran at potentialtech.com>
            Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> writes:
:
: > >From my information security manager:
: >
: > 	FreeBSD isn't much used within the University (I understand) and has a
: > 	(comparatively) poor security record. Most recently, for example:
: >
: > 	http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Root-exploit-for-FreeBSD-873352.html
:
: Are you trying to make your infosec guy look like an idiot?  Does he
: realize that FreeBSD has a grand total of 16 security problems for all
: of 2009?  Hell, Microsoft has that many in an average month.

And many of them were for code supplied by others...

: If he can find something (other than OpenBSD) with a better record than
: that, I'd love to hear about it.

Are you sure that OpenBSD has a better record?

Warner