May be include in GENERIC option INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE?

Wojciech A. Koszek wkoszek at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 12 21:01:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:22:57PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Alex Keda wrote:
> > For those who have recently engaged in FreeBSD, and inexperienced
> > managers who have inherited a server "by inheritance" is often the
> > question arises - where to find the configuration file in which to
> > compile your kernel? (Of course, a file by that time there =))
>
> I actually thought that was already done, but I see now that it's not.
> I would like to see this as well, any objections?

Alex, Doug,

In the past, I got two kinds of responses to this question:

1) "OK" from most of the people

>From the kernel via config(8) you can get a ready-to-use configuration file,
but without comments.

2) "We don't like new INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE, since it doesn't support comments,
and comments are crucial"

We'd have to add "-C" to config(8) execution in build scripts, the
same preserving the old way of keeping comments, but without getting
ready-to-use configuration file.

My vote is for (1)

Thanks,

--