Our old friend, the small default layout is back...

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Wed Aug 26 16:56:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 06:42:31PM +0200, Svein Skogen (listmail account) wrote:
> >> How about being able to move /boot to a separate FS?
> >
> > Wouldn't that require the initial loader(s) to become GEOM/GPART-aware,
> > so that they can find the kernel (or even /boot/loader if that is not
> > relocated to the root-fs)?
>
> Unless we add a "placeholder" file in the root fs that points to the
> int13 sector number for the active and spare kernels, and read that?

You mean like LILO? That has its own set of drawbacks: it can be
all too easily forgotten, and then you've hosed your system and
need to boot from an emergency partition... If at all, the loader
would need more intelligence than that: that's why GRUB is so
superior to LILO, at least for the FS-types it supports. ;-)

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/