Why VESA and DPMS are available only for i386?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Sep 16 07:47:47 UTC 2008

On 2008-Sep-15 13:43:31 -0700, Pedro Giffuni <pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I can't find any reference, but according to the Wikipedia, even in long mode AMD64 is able to run 16-bit (or 80286) protected mode applications:

AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual, Volume 1: Application
Programming - No. 24592 states:
"Compatibility mode - the second submode of long mode - allows 64-bit
 operating systems to run existing 16-bit and 32-bit x86
 applications. These legacy applications run in compatibility mode
 without recompilation."

--
Peter Jeremy