Do you need x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd-devel? (Re: How about AMD Puma platform support?)

Ian FREISLICH ianf at clue.co.za
Fri Sep 12 12:50:03 UTC 2008

Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > Sorry to inform you but actually I have:
> > -----
> > (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Sapphire X550 Silent] rev 0=
> , Mem @ 0xd0000000/28, 0xfe7e0000/16, I/O @ 0xb000/8, BIOS @ 0xfe7c0000/17
> > (--) PCI: (1:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 secondary [Sapphire X550 Sil=
> ent] rev 0, Mem @ 0xfe7f0000/16
> > -----
> > ...which seems to be supported by the radeon (not radeonhd) driver.
> > Well, I'd say that my card rather unsupported, since I get freezing
> > X with it. So I have to use the vesa driver.
>
> Could you give more details on the freeze symptoms ?
> E.g., is it complete freeze, or is mouse pointer still alive ?
> Does disabling DRI in xorg.conf fixes the problem ?

Interesting, I have the same (card/chip) and same problem:

(--) PCI:*(2:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)] rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/27, 0xdfff0000/16, I/O @ 0xe800/8, BIOS @ 0xdffc0000/17
(--) PCI: (2:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE] rev 0, Mem @ 0xdffe0000/16

in my -STABLE box which is also plagued by these spurious freezes.
They always happen when logging out or quitting the window manager.
Yesterday the mouse pointer movd but very slowly.  The Xorg process
using 100% on one CPU and unkillable.  In the past, it's locked up
the machine entirely, but this time everything else was working.
I still had to power cycle it to reboot though.

I'll try to get a ktrace next time it happens.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich