wpa_supplicant not started

Ian FREISLICH ianf at clue.co.za
Wed Sep 10 21:34:06 UTC 2008

Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2008-09-09 20:02, Alex Keda wrote:
> > after today update /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant not started automatically
> > ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP ssid ussr_wi_fi_lan authmode wpa"
>
> This is simply incorrect rc.conf syntax. Change it to:
>
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
>
> and put the SSID in your wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Interesting.  I have the following config in rc.conf:

wlans_ath0="wlan0"
vap_create_wlan0="wlanmode sta country US indoor"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

and wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={
        ssid="home"
        psk="*****************"
}

And a commit sometime between Aug 23 and Sep 5 broke my ath(4) or
something such that it scans and finds the ssid, but fails to
associate.

[apple] /usr/home/ianf # ifconfig wlan0 list scan
SSID            BSSID              CHAN RATE   S:N     INT CAPS
home            00:30:4f:58:bf:94    1   54M -74:-96  100 EP   WPA WME

And, FWIW, the txpower value has been getting progressively smaller
over time.  It started out at 31.5, spent the last 8 months or so
at 17.5 and since the recent commit is now at 16.5.  I'm not sure
if ths is related or if it's just correct now and was a bug prevously.
But, I have noticed that the quality (empirical) of wireless
assciation and signal strength has been steadily decreasing over
time (commit wise).

It stays at channel 1 for some time and then continues to scan only
to hover at chan 1 again.  Wash, rinse, repeat - my very own COBAL
ath.

I am going to try to locate the commit that broke it, but maybe
someone knows or suspects something I don't and will save me the
time.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich