csh history and pts

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue Sep 2 20:41:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Roman Divacky <rdivacky at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > might be completely irrelevant but tcsh on linux loses history for me as well :)
>>
>> tcsh doesn't bother doing any locking when merging .history, so if you
>> kill multiple sessions at once, it's very common to see entries get
>> lost, interlaced or doubled e.g:
>
> that's not it.... I never had any history saved since I started to use Linux (10 months
> ago)..
>
> I occasionlly get garbled/lost history under fbsd but this is different

FreeBSD's tcsh history saving has always been spotty on the console at
reboot time.  Over the last 15 years, sometimes it worked, sometimes
not.  I think it depended more on the phase of moon than anything.

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete