i give up

Alexander Churanov alexanderchuranov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 13:42:36 PST 2008

Folks!

I have some ideas on that. The problem is it's sometimes hard to check that
given hardware is supported by FreeBSD, even in case you know and want to do
it. The list of supported hardware is often written in terms of chipsets and
manufacturers often produce cards using supported chips, but named after
their own trademark.

For example, at my location one of frequently sold TV card brands is
"beholder". It is not in the supported hw list. However, three years ago
I've installed ethernet cards named "compex" to PCs and they worked well and
were detected as "realtek". Given that, should one try "beholder" tv card in
the first place?

The solution is to ask someone, or, better, to pay someone for providing
that knowledge. Computer shops rarely indicate that hardware is compatible
with FreeBSD. Whom to ask/pay? All this leads to idea of creating some
organization that will sell FreeBSD compatible PCs and hardware. I'm sure,
business like that can not exist , because FreeBSD userbase is not largest.
But non-profit organization, would, probably.

Currently I have ordinary PC and several years ago it was running Windows,
now FreeBSD. Fortunately, all hardware works. Now I am thinking of buying
new PC and I would pay 10% extra for a brand PC with a sticker "FreeBSD
inside" or "Designed for FreeBSD". A shop like that would also sell
100%-compatible photo cams, remote control units, etc.

All of these is highly hypothetical, but probably is possible. 10% is a good
donation.

Alexander Churanov