ZFS for a desktop computer

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 11:57:13 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM, John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2008 09:47:46 am Joao Barros wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 7:17 PM, John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:
>> > There are patches available to allow [booting from ZFS]...
>>
>> Can you point out those patches? Thx
>
> I may have mis-spoken. I believe it is being worked on but I don't have
> any pointers to specific code.
>
> What I had in mind was http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSOnRoot, which allows the
> root partition to be on ZFS but still requires a small UFS /boot.

Yes, there is an item in the wiki for zfsboot with a big finger
pointing at Doug Rabson (cc'd) but I don't know the status of the
task.
I was using the /boot on small ufs partition method to boot my raidz
but upgraded my machine and added a 1TB disk to the mix. I'll be
booting from a usb pen with root on zfs.
As soon as zfsboot works I'll ditch the usb pen.

Doug, can you provide some status update on zfsboot? Do you need help
on something?

--
Joao Barros