Request for testers: Option 3G cards, also Sierra, Huawei and Novatel

Nick Hibma nick at van-laarhoven.org
Wed Nov 5 08:06:16 PST 2008

> At 04:44 PM 10/9/2008, Nick Hibma wrote:
> >Just now I have committed a driver for Option and Huawei cards
> > previously supported by the ubsa driver. More information is in the
> > commit message.
> >
> >I am looking for people who would be able to provide more information
> > after testing with the 3G cards branded by:
>
> Hi,
>          I gave it a try on the Sierra USB card and it seems to work
> really well on RELENG_7! There is however also a mini-pci express
> version of the Sierra card, the MC8775.  Do you have plans to add
> support for it ?  I am not sure how the unit is even supposed to show
> up as I dont see it in the dmesg, but I do see that it shows some
> sort of umass device
>
> # usbdevs
> addr 1: OHCI root hub, AMD
>   addr 2: USB MMC Storage, Sierra Wireless
> addr 1: EHCI root hub, AMD

If you could run usbdevs -v and then jot down the IDs you can add those to
the top of u3g.c. You'll have to add a quirk like for other sierra devices
that show up as mass storage and need to be kicked into modem mode.

It pretends to be a mass storage device (with drivers on it) and after
installation switches to modem mode.

Or that's my guess.

Nick