HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon May 26 17:51:45 UTC 2008

Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 05:34:09AM -0700, Ade Lovett wrote:
>> idiosyncratic situations (yes, ahc(4), I'm looking at you) for 5+
>
> What's the problem with ahc(4)?  My ahc controller is one of
> the most reliable pieces of hardware that I've purchased.
> It's also the only interface available to my external DLT
> tape drive.

Not to forget the large amount of embedded ahc's that got implemented on
all kinds of serverbords. I still have quite a large set of customers
with such ASUS boards I sold to them over the years. Up 'till now I've
been able to keep 'm running with the pace of FreeBSD.
Removing this driver would "leave them behind".

I can force them to upgrade, but thus far there has been little reason
for that (hardware wise).

Just my 2 ct's
--WjW