HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled (was: 8.0 network stack MPsafety goals (fwd))

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Mon May 26 16:17:11 UTC 2008

Hello Robert,

* Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> If the new tty code maintains support for line disciplines, updating
> the existing SLIP code and adding locking code would probably be an
> equally sized (or shorter) task.

The new TTY layer should still support line disciplines, unfortunately I
haven't implemented the line discipline switching (TIOCSETD) yet.

I would really prefer to have this in userspace. There are several
advantages of implementing this in userspace:

- We don't have to port things twice (make it MPSAFE first and port it
  to the new TTY layer later, or the other way around).

- It is less likely to break. The entire userspace TTY and Tun/Tap
  userspace programming interfaces are more likely to be stable than the
  kernel interfaces.

- It will be easier to port to other operating systems.

- Implementing this in userspace could make it easier to configure and
  more flexible.

Any comments/ideas/etc?

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>