HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled (was: 8.0 network stack MPsafety goals (fwd))

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 24 14:49:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 11:20 +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> Just as a reminder, we've just about reached the one month date before
> IFF_NEEDSGIANT drivers are disabled in the build.  You can find a description
> of the general problem and list of specific drivers below.
>
> As USB work is on-going, I will *not* disable the USB drivers at this time,
> but all other drivers in the list below will be disabled on 26 June.  They
> will remain in the tree, easily accessible for patch distribution and
> re-enabling, until October, when any remaining non-MPSAFE drivers will be
> deleted in 8.x.  FreeBSD 8.0 will not ship with compatibility shims to support
> non-MPSAFE network device drivers.
>
> Robert N M Watson
> Computer Laboratory
> University of Cambridge

I've created a quick table of these at the following location:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/NetworkNeedsGiant

Please everyone feel free to fill in the blanks. I'll try to do it as
well as time permits.

--
Coleman Kane