development of framebuffer driver hi res console

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Fri May 23 20:21:11 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:21:50AM -0500, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
> and in mt /etc/rc.conf I have
>
> allscreens_flags="MODE_280"
>
> note you should man vidcontrol before doing this.
>
> just type vidcontrol -i at your system console for the correct mode.

I've always been puzzled by vidcontrol(8).  I've only been able to use
80x50.

Using "vidcontrol -i mode", I get 98 modes.  If I try MODE_292
(1280x1024x32), I get the following message:
% vidcontrol: cannot active raster display: Inapropriate ioctl for device

And this is the case for most of them.

> it isn't like gentoo or fedora, but it works for me.
> I would REALLLY like to see better frame buffer support in FreeBSD

My experience with Linux framebuffer is quite bad.  I always disable it
since backward scrolling (using less) is really, really slow.  If
there happen to be a similar feature on FreeBSD, I hope we won't have
this problem :).

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen