Updated php, and apache segfaults on SIGHUP

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Tue May 20 02:30:16 UTC 2008

Kevin Downey wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Andrew Moran <amoran at forsythia.net> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I recently upgraded my php5 ports to latest ports tree versions (5.2.6), and
>> now I'm in a situation where any HUP signal sent to apache is causing the
>> entire process to dump core.  I get this in the apache error log:
>>
>> [Mon May 19 16:08:48 2008] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart
>> [Mon May 19 16:08:48 2008] [notice] seg fault or similar nasty error
>> detected in the parent process
>>
>> and this in the messages log:
>>
>> May 19 16:14:45 celebrian kernel: pid 36900 (httpd), uid 0: exited on signal
>> 11 (core dumped)
>>

>> I narrowed it down to php - when I disable the php5 module, it doesn't
>> behave like this.
>>

> there was a thread on a while back on one of the other lists, maybe -questions.
> the offending extension is one of these three:
> #extension=mcrypt.so
> #extension=mbstring.so
> #extension=mhash.so
> I have the three of them commented out, so I am not sure which one was
> the poblem.

Andy:

It seems the order of the extensions in
/usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini matters.  For example, in the php5
ports Makefile.ext, there's an "Ugly hack to load session before pspell
to avoid crashes" It could be there are other ordering dependencies.

If you have a backup of php/extensions.ini from before you did your
updates, it would be worth trying reverting to that, to get the order
you had before that seemed OK.

	Barry